Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our Homeschooling Journey has began

After having Audrey and Lei in public school for almost 3 months, it became abundantly clear to me that this was not God's plan for our family. It was a totally necessary move to keep our family sane during Lei's transition into our family and Rachel's adjustment to our new family dynamic, but It wasn't the right choice long term. I started out thinking about homeschooling next year, then thinking about homeschooling after Christmas, and then thinking "If I'm going to do this, why wait?". So, we became an official homeschooling family on Monday and I already know this was exactly what we were supposed to do. Audrey and Lei are rested, relaxed and totally into their school work. Neither of them expressed any real regret in not returning to school. Rachel seems to be thoroughly enjoying having her brother and sister around all the time and they are all getting along much better than I could have ever hoped for.

We have started out using Abeka's Phonics, Reading and Writing program and Saxon Math. We are using the reading list from Amblesideonline.com as well. We don't have a formal science or social studies program yet, but since this is Kindergarten, we didn't think this was critical in any way. For Bible we are just memorizing verses from the KJV now, but plan to either create our own curriculum or look into others soon. An FYI, I love Abeka phonics and so do the kids so far !
Saxon math seems well thought out, but the K5 version is too easy in my opinion and I think alot of kindergartners could start with Saxon Math 1 and do fine.

I'll post more as we go along, but I'm wore out tonight !

No comments: