Sunday, June 29, 2008

In Guangzhou and ready to go home !

We still have two full days left in Guangzhou, but I can tell you that we are completely ready to go home. The trip has been nothing short of amazing and of course nothing less than exhausting ;-) Lei is doing extremely well, but is testing us daily and always stretching boundaries. He appears to be a typical 5 year old boy in every way. I would say the language barrier has been the most challenging aspect of this adoption because Lei is so verbal and it's obvious he is frustrated with us when we don't understand him. We are able to communicate with him for all his basic needs, but he loves to tell stories, ask questions, and describe things so this is where I'm sure he feels quite isolated and lonely. He is extremely smart and catches on to everything amazingly fast so we know the language barrier won't last long, but it's still really hard now. This past week has also been really difficult because we miss Audrey and Rachel so much. I can't believe we've been away from them for so long.

I'm really feeling that Lei having his two Mei Mei's will make all the difference in the world for him. Lei looks alot like Audrey but his personality has many of Rachel's traits so I just can't wait to see them all interacting together.

Lei is really good with other children and especially with younger ones. He must have been in charge of some of the little ones at his orphanage because he is very protective and interactive with some of the younger children we've met. I have a feeling Rachel will love having him for a big brother since she loves alot of attention ;-)

Lei has been much more affectionate the past couple days letting us hold him and hug him with even an occassional kiss so we are really happy about that. I really don't think there are going to be many issues with bonding or attachment except it will of course take longer since he is older. He was clearly attached to the orphanage director and other children at Jiaojiang SWI.

Also, I want to thank all of you who have posted comments. We have been able to read your comments in Hangzhou and Guangzhou and they have been so comforting.

I'll try to post a few pics soon.

5 comments:

Julie said...

We've been thinking and praying for you. It sounds like Lei is feeling safer each day. We can't wait to meet the newest Hanna.

Julie, Chris & Will

Laurie said...

I just got home from having dinner with the girls and the senior Hannas. Can't wait to meet Lei! Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
So excited for you guys. I know that at this point in the trip - you are just ready to get home. Your posts have brought tears to my eyes. I think Samantha is creating a imaginary brother after hearing about Audrey's brother. It is so exciting to hear how he is doing. The transition must be so hard for him - and you guys. Please know that we are thinking of you and cannot wait see you guys again.
Faith, Mike and Sam

Anonymous said...

We can't wait to see you. The girls went fishing with Uncle Greg and the boys and had a great(wet!)time on Saturday.
We are constantly praying for you-
J,B, and S can't wait to meet their new cousin!
Love you,
Diane

Judy said...

Miss you so much! I can't wait to meet Paul Lei.... he's got a little of "the Matthew" in him..lol. Go Superman!! The girls are having so much fun but miss you both so much! Paul Lei looks and sounds beautiful inside and out. I can't wait to meet my nephew...safe journey sister...I love you and am so proud of you !